One IP is enough to run several CPU Nodes

“The public IP address is required for both the Zilliqa CPU nodes and GPU mining rigs to connect to it.”
There is nothing about multiple public IP addresses in Zilliqa-Mining-Proxy documentation, yet Snowsledge is insisting you can not run more than one CPU Node on one public IP here.

Why?

0 Likes

You need multiple IPs, else you will get blacklisted in the network for having similar IPs for multiple nodes.

0 Likes

Wiki says: “NAT environment OR Public IP address”. The “OR” suggests public IP is not needed. Wiki is full of lies.

0 Likes

Yes, it is not needed.

0 Likes

Well then… makeup your mind. 14 days ago you said opposite.

0 Likes

Hi,

Please make your point, else I will close this topic. These are two different things:

• having multiple IPs for multiple nodes is necessary
  • Public IPs are not a necessity if you are in a NAT environment
0 Likes

Please read carefully. I cited wiki which says you need “NAT environment OR Public IP address” to do mining. It suggests that if I got NAT then I don’t need public IP.

Although it might be that wiki content is crap but all you recommend is wiki so…

0 Likes

That is correct. You don’t need a public IP to mine.

Also, do read the rules in this forum:

0 Likes

Careful. You said I need public IP to do CPU mining.

0 Likes

No, you don’t need that. Public IP address is needed only for the proxy server, which is a middleman between CPU nodes and GPU mining rigs.

0 Likes

Then I suggest you correct your answer which till now is “You need multiple IPs, else you will get blacklisted in the network for having similar IPs for multiple nodes.” but should be “No, you can use proxy sitting on one public IP addres”.

0 Likes

Okay let me explain again. There are 3 different things here:

• Zilliqa CPU nodes requires you to have different IPs for each node. You will get blacklisted if you use the same IP and different ports here.

• Zilliqa Proxy Server is the middleman between CPU nodes and GPU mining rigs, this server requires you to have a single public IP so the CPU nodes and GPU rigs can communicate with it.

• Zilminer is the software that GPU mining rigs uses and they point to either the CPU nodes (either through NAT or public IP) directly OR to the Zilliqa Proxy Server (with public IP) which will then distribute/accept the mining jobs.

0 Likes

And there again we have inconclusive content: “they point to either the CPU nodes (either through NAT or public IP) directly” suggests CPU nodes can in fact be behind the NAT and not having different public IPs.

Also here: “Zilliqa CPU nodes requires you to have different IPs for each node. You will get blacklisted if you use the same IP and different ports here.” It does not say they should be public IPs.

And here: “this server requires you to have a single public IP” Does not say if it can be the same as one of the CPU nodes IP.

All I am saying is that wiki is full of poorly worded content and the forum is full of advices to read the wiki content which as you can see is not helpful. Also the wiki is not updated with bugfixes.

0 Likes

Also here: “Zilliqa CPU nodes requires you to have different IPs for each node. You will get blacklisted if you use the same IP and different ports here.” It does not say they should be public IPs.

That is correct. They don’t need to be.

And here: “this server requires you to have a single public IP” Does not say if it can be the same as one of the CPU nodes IP.

You can use the same IP if you want. But for Proxy server to work, it requires a public IP.

0 Likes

So I can run multiple CPU nodes on one public IP (as i wrote in the topic title).

So why did you write: “You need multiple IPs, else you will get blacklisted in the network for having similar IPs for multiple nodes.”?

Also the choice of word “similar” is misleading. Did you mean “identical”? I dont think “similar” IPs will be a problem ever. 81.81.81.81 is similar to 81.81.18.18 but it is different…

Also “That is correct. They don’t need to be.” is misleading. Why do you talk about private IPs if that does not matter for the network? Network sees only public IPs.

You wrote: “Zilliqa CPU nodes requires you to have different IPs for each node. You will get blacklisted if you use the same IP and different ports here.” But there is no way for the network to know if i run 2 CPU nodes on 1 private IP behind NAT or on 2 different private IPs behind NAT.

0 Likes

Hey Aditu, I’m a miner. Sharing my experience.

1. The CPU nodes can’t join the network if all of them are having the same public IP.

2. How I am mining now:
    a) Setup multiple cpu nodes on cloud server (Digital Ocean, Google Cloud, AWS etc). Each of these cpu node is assigned a unique public IP.
    b) Setup proxy server on cloud server (unique public IP)
    c) All GPUs rigs (sharing the same IP at my farm) are connected to the proxy server

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, I appreciate your help. Do the CPU nodes need unique public IPs regardless of using Proxy? I mean do they actually need to join the network when there is Proxy in use?

0 Likes

Yes the CPU nodes must have unique public IPs regardless of using Proxy or not.

The Proxy is only for distributing the mining jobs received from CPU nodes to the rigs and sending the result back to the CPU nodes. The proxy doesn’t “talk” direct with the blockchain.

0 Likes

Thank you for clarification.

0 Likes

You are welcome. I’m still learning too :blush:

0 Likes